Milltown Lodge No. 294 History



The first official meeting to consider organizing a Masonic Lodge in Milltown was held at the home of H Bruce Bronson on Riva Avenue, sometime prior to 1957.

Those present were: Edmund Davis, P.M.; H Bruce Bronson; Robert M Emig P.M.; Jerome E Emig, P.M. and Henry B. Bronson. Following the initial meeting, on January 5 1957, Brothers Edmund Davis; John Junker; Robert Emig; Alfred E Pritchard; H Bruce Bronson; Christian Jensen and Jerome Emig, petitioned Most Worshipful J. Herman Buehrer for a dispensation to form a new lodge in Milltown, to be known as Milltown Lodge.

On February 2, 1957, The designed officers met in Palestine Lodge No 111, Located then in New Brunswick, and satisfactorily exemplified the ritualistic work before R.W. Norman H Smith, District Deputy, and the Lodges in the 12th Masonic District.

On Tuesday, May 7, 1957, in Redmen Hall Lodge Room on the main Street, the coveted Dispensation was presented By R.W. August C Ullrich, Deputy Grand Master, authorizing us to work as Milltown Lodge, U. D. The Dispensation was signed on April 19, 1957, By Most Worshipful Raymond H Jensen, Grand Master of Masons for the State of New Jersey

The first regular communication of Milltown Lodge, U.D. was held in Redmen Hall Lodge Room on May 21, 1957. At that meeting a motion was passed to request $7.50 dues to help defray expenses until a proper warrant was granted. Worshipful Master Davis also asked the members who had offered to donate Masonic furnishing for the lodge to do so that time.The first regular communication of Milltown Lodge, U.D. was held in Redmen Hall Lodge Room on May 21, 1957.

At that meeting a motion was passed to request $7.50 dues to help defray expenses until a proper warrant was granted. Worshipful Master Davis also asked the members who had offered to donate Masonic furnishing for the lodge to do so that time.

On September 17, 1957, at the 10th regular communication of Milltown Lodge U. D., Our first 5 candidates received the Sublime Degree of Master Mason, namely Brothers James Mowery, Jr., Warren Kuhlthau, Charles Butler, John Christ and James Stolz. The 26th and final communication of Milltown Lodge, U.D. was held on May 6, 1958.

Milltown Lodge No.294, Free and Accepted Masons, was constituted on May 17, 1958. A most impressive ceremony was conducted in the Masonic Temple in Plainfield by the Most Worshipful August C. Ullrich, Grand Master of Mason of the State of New Jersey, and his grand Staff.

Founding Officer Line